BPI Express Start: The Easiest Way to Apply for a Credit Card

It’s been more than a year now since I applied for a credit card from BPI via the Express Start program.

BPI Credit Card Express Start is the easiest way to apply for a credit card at the same time to save money. The program requires you to open a savings account or a time deposit amounting to P10,000 or more.

I like the convenience of saving while spending with this program. Not only that it teaches you how to save money but it also trains you how to budget.

If you want to avail this program, prepare the documents needed to open an account or time deposit. Just present any of your valid IDs and the amount to be deposited to your nearest BPI branch.

Fjordan Allego

Fjordan Allego aka Fjordz is an Anti-spam Research Engineer in one of the world's leading security software company. He maintains a couple of blogs where he shares his views on various topics that he finds interesting. A self-confessed introvert who's mostly active in social media, Fjordz also loves to travel and explore the wonders of the world.

Latest posts by Fjordan Allego (see all)

Related Posts:

Comments

1. Ask ko lang, yung Secured CC ba you can also earn point same with the regular CC?

2. HI

ASK KO LANG, NEVER PA KASI AKO NAGKAROON NG CREDIT CARD KAYA WALA AKO IDEA PANO ANG PROCESS NG PAG BABAYAD, EXAMPLE BUMILI AKO ONLINE NG SAPATOS WORTH 5K PANO ANG PAGBABAYAD NUN?

3. Hi! Are you allowed to have supplementary cards if you have express start? how about a non-relative supplemntary?

thanks

4. Good day. Do i need to present itr to avail express start? Thank u

5. Mark Joseph Azares says:

Good day! Actually I just received a letter upon applying for BPI Express Cc pero ang lamn nung letter is about express start saying that i need to deposit 10,000 may time frame ba kung hanggang kelan pwede magdeposit of the said amount? Then after making the deposit anu na mangyayari?

• Hi Mark,

Walang time frame yung deposit mo. Hangga’t nasa’yo ‘yung credit card na ibibigay nila sayo, mananatiling naka-hold ‘yung deposit account mo sa kanila.

After making the deposit, they’ll process your credit card application and you’ll get your card via delivery.

• Mark Joseph says:

Mr. Allego, may nabasa din akong sa mga comments. Correct me if I’m wrong, Na ung 10k na un is minimum amount na idedeposit mo then based dun 80% of that 10k ang magiging credit card limit mo?

• Ron Arvin says:

Time frame? Well, policy of BPI is to hold the deposit at least a year then after that you may request for lifting or release of hold out amount. You have the option to retain the card or to cancel. You will get approve depending on your account handling. Then it will be converted to a regular credit card.

6. Hello po.

I received a letter from BPI saying I need to have Express Starter. How long po kaya bago ako maka kuha ng regular CC?

And other thing is, yung savings account ko po kasi my monthly na narereceive from acct abroad. If I am going to allow BPI na ihold yung account ko na yun, I wouldn’t be able to withdraw any cash po diba? My terms po kaya sila for that? Kasi hassle na mag open ng new savings sa BPI na for Express CC lang eh. If you have any idea po please email it to me.

Thank you so much.

7. Hi, ask ko lang po mga requirements needed for BPI Express Start to open savings account nadin?

• You need the following:
      • At least 1 government issued IDs–SSS, PhilHealth, TIN, Driver’s License, IBP, PRC, passport, postal AND/OR 2 IDs with picture and signature–company, school
      • Two 1×1 picture
      • Proof of billing–electric, water, other credit cards
      • Your initial deposit

Usually the credit limit they give is 80% of your deposit on hold. Like in my case I have 8,000 credit limit for my 10,000.00 time deposit on hold. You can add more funds to increase your limit after that.

8. mtgal rin ang process ng bpi express start mg almost 2 months n d ko p nreceive ung card pro sa account ko nkaregister n ung cc..un nga lng ang tagal ng delivery :C

9. Hi,

If I avail of this program, do I get a card na parang CC or ung card lang na inapply ko? Aside from the requirements they need (min deposit of 10k, valid IDs and application form), do I still need to bring the letter they sent me?

Thanks! :)

10. Hi Anonymous,

You may directly contact BPI at 89-100 for Metro Manila to check the status of your application.

• gaano katagal yung BPI Express Start account to be converted as Real Credit Card ? May timeframe ba ito?
      Thanks

• Ron Arvin says:

In my case, I opened an account last June 21, 2013 and I received the credit card after a month. Now, my card is 10 months old already and I just requested a Release of hold-out amount since the policy is 6 mos to 1 year depending on account handling and it will convert to a regular credit card (unsecured card).

• Ang alam ko kasi e as long as nasayo yung card, naka hold yung savinngs account mo. Kung gusto mo ipa-convert to a regular credit card na walang naka hold na account, you will have to apply a separate account.

• Ron Arvin says:

It can be converted to a regular credit card depending on account handling and after requesting a release of hold out amount. You may request an increase in credit limit by submitting a proof of income.

• Ron Arvin says:

It’s been a year since I applied a credit card through Express Start Program. July 18, 2013 is the exact date. I made a request for lifting of credit card/release of hold out amount and card retention on July 26, 2014 and I was happy because it was granted on August 8, 2014. My credit card from Express Start was converted already to a regular credit card/unsecured card.

• mary rose malunda says:

paturo nman po pag gawa ng request letter.. mag 2 yrs na saken cc ko

11. Anonymous says:

hi.. nag-apply din ako ng bpi express cc nong june 28, pero hanggang ngayon d ko pa natanggap cc ko..almost 1 month na. :(

12. @carll nathaniel,

Did you specifically ask for a BPI Express Start credit card application? I believe this one is different with the regular credit card application as this will put your existing savings account with BPI on hold.

13. @nielsen ocampo,

If the actual credit limit is 7K, then the 2K monthly installment is NOT POSSIBLE.

14. Thanks for the answer.

just a follow up question, would the answer be the same if the CREDIT LIMIT is actually 7k PER MONTH?

Thanks again.

15. 150,00 ang open account ko sa bpi. pero gang ngayon di pa din nila ko mabigyan ng credit card, nung nag apply ako last may ni wala ngang inform tapos un pala disapprove pa. bat ganun!!!

16. Hi nielsen ocampo,

I believe the monthly installment depends on the credit limit on your card. In your case, you only have 7K for a credit limit so the 2K installment payable in 24 months is not possible. Unless you have a higher credit limit, that’s the time that you can use your Express Start for installment purchases.

17. Hi ask ko lang ito kasi nag avail ako ng Express start CC.
    P10,000 muna deposit ko.
    pwede ko bang magamit ang espress credit card para mag avail ng product for installment basis kung example P2000 ang monthly installment to be paid for 24 months.
    pwede ba yun kahit P7000 lang ang credit limit? Thanks

• No! If you are availing 48,000.00 worth of item that can be deferred into 24 months (2,000.00 monthly) you will also need a 48,000.00 credit limit.
      Upon swiping the card, 48,000.00 will be deducted from your available limit. On the other hand, as you pay the 2,000.00 installment your credit limit will also adjust.

18. Hi Jam,

Yes. You can go to any BPI branch to deposit additional funds to increase your credit limit. They will ask you to fill out a form for BPI Express Start.

19. Hi would like to ask about increasing my credit limit on my BPI express start. Can i deposit to my time deposit account at any BPI branch and ask them to increase my credit limit? or do i have to go to the branch where my account was created? i don’t live na kasi to the place where i first made my account. thanks!

20. Hi Jade,

Yes. Since the card has MasterCard logo, you can definitely use to purchase stuffs online.

21. ei there sir.. sa tingin nyo pwede kaya ito pang purchase online.. lets say international products.. pwede kaya sya?

22. @Aldous,

Yo! Musta na? Anyway, if you received a letter from BPI Express Start Program then you are required to get a separate deposit account from BPI as they will be locking it as long as you are using your credit card. That will be the condition for BPI Express Start.

23. Anonymous says:

Hi Fjords!! Aldous to remember? TIP manila?

I have QA, me and my dad have this “and/or” account and a really high time deposit. I tried to apply for a CC blue one, and i thought that i could be exempted from BPI Express Start Program. Is that possible? Cause I think the letter requires me to. But im not really intrested with the program. dont you BPI uses this program to lock up a safety measure right?

24. Hi @HazelAnnG,

Thanks for sharing your experience as well. I actually asked BPI if they could make my Express Start a regular credit card and I was told that I need to fill out the same cc application form and they’ll use my payment history in approving the application. If approved, they could waive the hold on my deposit acct.

• Ron Arvin says:

BPI will approve the release of hold out amount after a year depending on the account handling.

• Ron Arvin says:

No need to fill out another application form. All you have to do is to write a letter of request for lifting of credit card account/release of hold out amount/card retention thru your branch of account.

25. I already let go of my BPI Express Start Blue Mastercard a few days ago. 26thou ang dineposit ko as Time Deposit para magkaroon ng 20thou na limit. I always pay on time for the past 2 years right after the cut off pa nga. Pero dahil sa nature ng work ko, hindi nila ginawang regular CC yung card ko. So ang ending, kailangan ko na ng pera at may isa pa kong secured CC, I just let go of it. Mabilis lang yung process pero yung money iccredit pa nila a month after, so I heard. Sa 2 years ng account ko, 700 pesos lang kinita as interest.

• Ang tagal na-hold ang TD mo. Sa akin actually one-month lang. Pwede naman makuha agad yung TD mo ahit hindi pa matured pero babayaran mo lang ang tax na very minimal na ni hindi mo mararamdaman, like less than 10 pesos.

26. Hi Marlon,

The one I got is a BPI Blue MasterCard but I believe that depends on the bank’s review on your history and the deposited amount. Be it a MC or Visa, may requirements din kasi silang mini-meet.

And for your second question, if it will be accepted internationally as a CC, it’s a yes. Technically, the card that they’ll be providing to you is an actual credit card so it really works the same as their other credit card variants.

Hope that helps! :)

27. way too much inquiry on how it works… failed to say what it is…
    is it a MASTERCARD OR VISA? and is it accepted internationally as a CC. to purchase international flights? to online booking of hotels for abroad? etc… pls reply asap Thanks

28. hi… too much inquiry but we forgot to ask the most impt thing…
    is it MASTERCARD or VISA. and is it accepted as a CC internationally?

29. @Anonymous,

I believe ang mangyayari e mag-aapply ka ulit ng bagong credit card line sa BPI and gagamitin nila as reference yung history mo sa first credit card mo with them (yung may nakahold na BPI account). Upon approval ng new credit card line, pwede mo nang isurrender yung old credit card mo at ibibigay na nila sayo yung naka-hold na BPI account.

• Hindi na kailangan i-surrender ang CC mo na nakuha via express start program. You will continue to use the same card, unless you want a new card para hindi mo na kailangan magbayad ng fee for replacement ng card.

30. after a year of your contract, with the secured cc, pwede bang maging unsecured kung ok nmn ang credit statemant mo?

• Ron Arvin says:

Yes, pwede namang maging unsecured card after a year provided that you have a good account handling from Express Start Program.

31. Gerelyn Gomez says:

I think maganda din naman yan.. kung hindi mo nga naman gagalawin yung pera mo atleast tumutubo.. ^^
    and yan din yung pinaka easy way para makakuha ng creddit card sa ibang bank.. ^^
    for example. may savings ka sa BDO.. ^^
    possible din na mag ka credit card ka from other bank kung good payer ka sa BPI.. ^^

32. Hi @joey fernando,

Yes. That’s how the system works. Basically, you’re saving up at the same time, you’ll have the ability to use a credit line from BPI.

33. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

34. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

35. ask ko lang pag 20t ang deposit 18t credit limit mo. ganon ba yon?

36. Obviously, the first is a credit card and the other is a debit card. Though you can use both in purchasing something abroad, you’ll get to enjoy the perks of having a credit card – like installment and stuff.

37. Anonymous says:

so what’s the difference between the express start cc compared to your atm card that you can use real time also? nde ba and bpi atm is internationaly accepted na rin as debit card?

• Ron Arvin says:

The only difference is if you are using a credit card from Express Start you are using the money of the bank. Whereas if debit card you are using your own money.

38. Anonymous says:

kelan po ba makukuha? kse nakapag apply napo ako eh … anu po ba hotline? tnx po

39. Anonymous says:

kailangan ba may letter galing bpi para mkapag open ng express cc? or khit sino pwede mag apthankspl y?

40. im very new to this, pano bah ang payment once nagamit mo n yung card at may utang ka nah?

41. Anonymous says:

hi, so this means on top of your 10k deposited amount, u can use the 80% as a credit? then if u weanted to withdraw the 10k, kelangan bayad na ung utang? tama ba?

42. Anonymous says:

meaning, on top of your 10K deposit, u can use 8k as credit? then pag bayad mo na ang utang, u can withdraw the 10k na if u want?

43. Anonymous says:

Ang ganda!! Parang Passbook lang na may ATM tulad saken. Ang difference lang is di mo pwede i.withdraw ang 20%. Tama ba?? Ai di pala different! Kasi sa ATM di mo rin ma.wiwithdraw ang money kung di aabot ng Php 100.. Dito, di mo rin mawiwithdraw ang money kung di mo mabuo ulit ang Php 10,000.. Tama!!!

44. Hi Anonymous,

To increase your credit limit, you have to deposit additional amount to your account and request for credit increase through your branch of account.

45. Anonymous says:

hi..can i ask some flavor?how can i increase my limit credit?thanks

46. Take your time. I believe, as long as you have the letter from BPI stating that you can now apply for the Express Start Program, you can always apply anytime.

47. Hi, I received the same thing from BPI regarding my credit card application yesterday. It does sound reasonable, however I was wondering if how long is it valid for the express start application? Can it wait for a month upon receiving the invitation or should I apply for it asap?

48. Yes. Iho-hold yung passbook para di ka makapag-withdraw. That’s why it’s a good way to save na rin kasi time to time, you can add some amount rin and it also has interest. The more you save, the more na nadadagdagan yung credit limit mo.

49. meaning ung mismong passbook ihohold nila? di na nila papa hawak sayo para di ka nga makapag withdraw tama ba? thanks..

50. Anonymous says:

ung deposit mo i-hhold ng branch prang colateral at hnd mo mgagalaw habang ginagamit mo p ung card.. 80% lng ng dineposit mo ang mkkuha mong credit limit.. minimum n deposit pra ma avail mo ung card is 10k.. then 8k ung mgging credit limit mo.. kung mas malaki ang deposit mo edi mlki rin credit limit mo bsta maximum n ung 80% out of ur deposi… kpg hnd kn nkkbayad at ung bill mo eh umabot n sa amount ng dineposit mo.. i-ccut na nila ung credit card then yung dineposit mo ang kukunin nilang pambayad… so safe sila… ksi nga nmn.. nkahold s knila ung dineposit mo at hnd mo pwdng glawin..

kung gusto mo ng kunin ung dineposit mo… kelangan bayad lhat ng utang mo sa credit card then 1-2 wiks nila bago i-release ung deposit mo then i-ccut nrin nila ung credit card mo…

ang requirements lng e pra sa pg open ng savings pra dun sa deposit mo and fill-up mo lng ung express start n form then after 1-2 wiks ippadala n by mail ung card mo…

51. Minimal lang ang requirements. I believe mas importante yung balance ng account mo.

52. good day! kapag may bpi savings account ka na hihingian ka pa ba nila ng ibang documents? thanks!!!!

53. I’m not sure about the time frame but after your application, you can contact their hotline to inquire about the status of your application.

54. Anonymous says:

Hi, gano katagal ung processing? kc i wanted to have the card n in about 10 days.. dahil din sa offer nilang BPI madness sa isang mall..

55. @franz0913:

It has the same features of a regular BPI credit card. Your credit limit will be based on the amount deposited. You may want to have it increased by depositing more on your time deposit or savings account.

56. Hi. Can you tell me all the features of the card aside from the deposit thing. I already have a BPI SA and I’m thinking about availing it. Thanks!